Re: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #163

> k s swigart katswig@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> And it is likely that arab breeders have done this (whether they admit to it or not).  The Russians and the French have probably bred in the English Thoroughbred to their "purebred" arabs, and Americans have bred in the Saddlebred.

I exchanged email with a man I met on an Arab list. He claimed to have proof that this was exactly what was done in America before blood typing. Think how easy it would have been to do! Also, weren't there some scandals involving stallions being killed so as to eliminate the trace of parentage? I dunno.... there are some awfully long-necked, stretchy "Arabs" in the
US....hmmmm. My own horse is 1/8 ASB and looks Arab except that she should finish at close to 16h. That's taller than any of the Arabs in her line. (And almost too tall for me.)

This same man also theorized that this is why the US withdrew from WAHO. How better to mask problems in your own house than to re-direct attention to someone else's?

I am NOT accusing anyone of anything (all you breeders put your torches away). It IS interesting to think of all the possibilities, however.

I don't think that what our guest wrote above is so far fetched.

But then, I've never gotten too wound up about pedigrees. It's the way the resulting animal is conformed and, more important, what kind of brain it has that matters to me.

Deanna