E-mail fees?

I have been just connected with someone in France and they were afraid
to open the email from me because of the expense of long distance
telephone costs.  I thought there was no cost except the monthly fee for
the browser or server?  Can someone from the "other side" explain this
to me?
Thanks
Kandhy Franklin- waiting for rain or a slight change in this perfect
weather...