Re: New Topic - Hooves

Here goes...it's long so delete if you're not into this!

< 1.  Do you know the difference between Natural Balance Shoeing (NBS) and
the "older more traditional" style of shoeing?>
NBS shoeing has been practiced before by other farriers but it just didn't
have a fancy name...Nelson has used this method in the past on some horses
for various reasons and now we are using it even more.  What Nelson does is
a modification of NBS.
 <2.  Do you discuss with your farrier if he/she is going to use NBS
methods, or more traditional methods?  (using the term "traditional" for
lack of a better word)>
Nelson does what I tell him to (VERY BIG GRIN)  Seriously, your farrier
should discuss your horse's hoof care with you.  You are a team with your
farrier!
< 3.  Do you know how to evaluate the quality of job your farrier does?>
Our horses stay sound...that's my evaluation and how many of our clients
look at it.
 >4.  How do you evaluate the quality of job your farrier does?  Do you
watch your horse move after each reshoeing?>
same as above and yes, we watch them move before and after...we also are
careful about angles and toe length, measuring each time so we can evaluate
HOW the horse's hooves are growing and adjust their shoeing schedule
accordingly.
 <5.  What type of shoes do you like to have on your horse?  Do you know?
Do you have a preference?>
We use St. Croix Eventers and Extra EZ shoes with clips.  The NBS shoes
themselves we feel are dangerous (Have you ever seen them?  Flat and
slippery.)  Nelson squares the toes and sets the shoe back (measuring from
the point of the frog) and our horses are doing very well with that
method...just started it late last year so anxious to see how they do this
year!
< 6.  Have you had lameness problems that you thought were due to
trimming/shoeing?>
We haven't, but many of our clients have (B.N. before Nelson) ...nails too
close, balance off, long toes, NO heels...sometimes we can tell which
farrier they used to have because they tend to be consistent in their
methods.  One farrier he replaced would consistently trim the left front
feet of every horse in such a way that it looked as if it were spreading
OUT ward...left a point towards the outside.  We think perhaps he had an
eye perception problem???  Several of his clients started having problems
with horses developing a club foot and separation of the white
line...Nelson is working on the club feet and the as time goes on, that
separation is almost disappeared (our theory is that over time, so much
stress was placed on the toes from the trimming method that it stressed the
white line...it appeared in too many horses to be just a coincidence or to
be shrugged off as laminitis).
< 7.  How do you know the lameness was caused by the trimming/shoeing?>
If you pull the shoes and horse shows relief...it was probably caused by
the shoeing.  As far as trimming, time will tell...taking measurements,
finding the length of toe and angle the horse goes in best and feels most
comfortable at.
 <8.  What mileages do you compete in?>
25s and 50s, hope to do a 100 miler this year.  Maybe Shore to Shore
multi-day.
< 9.  Do you work with your farrier to get the type of trim/balance you
want?  i.e.  do you tell your farrier horse is toeing out behind - need to
do such-n-such.>
Nelson ASKS people what is going on with their horse, what they have
noticed, why they think whatever is happening is happening and together
they work out a solution.
 <10.  How do you tell your farrier what you want - do you feel as though
you have to "tread lightly"?>
I don't think our clients have a problem with this but yes, some have had
farriers that did do as THEY damn well pleased and let the client think
they were doing what THEY wanted and if the client didn't know any better,
it was tough.  Our clients are our livelihood and they are the customer and
it is a service business and besides that the client knows the horse and
rides the horse and knows them better than Nelson. The client's input is
essential in their horse's hoof care.
< 11.  Is your farrier responsive to your needs?  Does your farrier listen
to your concerns and take time to explain why he/she may disagree with
you.>
Aren't they all?  That's the way it SHOULD be!  Communication is vital!!
<12.  Have you ever evaluated your horses hooves via radiograph with your
vet AND farrier?>
Not on our horses but Nelson works closely with some vets and yes, they
look at X-rays together on problem horses and discuss treatment.  This is
considered a consultation and owners should be prepared to pay their
farrier for their time and phone calls, etc.
< 13.  What have you learned from using radiographs?>
We have learned if there is a problem in the foot (or not) and what course
of action is necessary to hopefully get the horse sound again if he is not
or to keep him sound if he already is (prevention, ya know!).
< 14.  What have you learned from the radiographs that you can use for a
visual inspection of the hooves?  How do you do it?>
You can sometimes correlate amount of coffin bone rotation with dish in the
foot. Sometimes you can't, too!
< 15.  What, in your opinion, is the best way to learn about your horse's
hooves/needs.?>
Hire Nelson and Maggie as your farrier and farrier's wife so you can get
Nelson's expertise and Maggie's newsletter!  Seriously, ask questions, read
books, check out www.horseshoes.com on the web.
< 16.  What publication, video, seminar, or person is the best way you
learned about hooves?>
My farrier/husband, www.horseshoes.com, Go The Distance by Nancy Loving,
DVM has a great section in it about shoeing the distance horse.
 <17.  Does your farrier use NBS methods on your horse?  Why or why not?>
As I said before, Nelson uses a modified version of the NBS method.
 <18.  How much training has your farrier had in NBS methods?  NONE  Has
she/he gone to clinics/workshops, learned from other farriers?>
Some he has learned from other farriers....discussing options etc. None he
has talked with like the NBS shoes themselves but also feel a modifed
version (using St. Croixs, squaring the toe, setting the shoe back, etc.)
are an excellent method.
<19.  How long has the farrier been using the NBS method on your horse?>
Though not true NBS shoeing, Nelson started using his version late last
year with wonderful results on my gelding who is a stumbler.
 >20.  How many competitive miles has your horse done with the NBS method?>
I think we got in 100 miles last year plus many more conditioning miles.  I
think my daughter did her first 50 on her horse shod that way...he went
beautifully as well.
 <21.  Do you feel the NBS method is appropriate to use on domestic horses
- why or why not?>
Nelson feels that comparing wild horses with domestic horses is not an
accurate comparison...wild horses do not carry riders or get locked up in a
stall or wear shoes of any kind...they choose their terrain and the amount
of exercise they do/don't get...however he feels that the basic idea is
sound as we have discovered as many of you have, that horses with poor
angles, long toes, etc. don't do very well.  Every horse has their own
individual needs for trimming/shoeing...some go best at a 52 degree angle,
some go better at a 55 and most need a different angle front and
back...sometimes on a new horse we will start with an equal angle all the
way around and go from there, experimenting with it according to what the
owner tells us about how the horse is performing/working, etc.  Remember
that what a horse looks like trotting out after the farrier is through
isn't necessarily how he will move with you in the saddle!
 <22.  If you use NBS on your horse, are you comfortable with the methods
considering that this is a relatively new concept?>
n/a
 <23.  If you don't use NBS methods, does your farrier still recess the
shoes somewhat for an earlier breakover>
Think I answered that but yes.
< 24.  If you use NBS methods, did your horse's hooves ever get to the
point of just looking "strange" to you?>
Not at all...they look great to me!!
Nelson is working on his webpage and will be publishing some photos of how
he shoes our horses and many of our clients' horses...keep an eye out!
I'll let everyone know.  What we need to do is not only post before and
after pictures of the horse but pictures that actually SHOW what he does
and how...next time we do a horse that way, I'll take the pictures and put
them on our site!
Hope this answered your questions!

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining