Re: RC: pelleted feed at rides

Sally,
    I had an experience about 5 years ago with hay pellets.  I had been
boarding my horse and the supply of hay was not to the standards of the work
I was putting in the horse.  So I started feeding pellets to make up for the
difference, since they wouldn't feed extra hay even though I would purchase
it on the side.
    I went to a ride about a month after this change was in effect.  I think
I completed in 9th place.  Can't remember, but I was in the top ten.  It was
summer and it was hot.  I showed for BC and about the awards time which was
3-4 hrs later, my husband came to me and said that the horse was coliced.  I
had the vet administer everything; pain shots, IV fluids, tubing (oil &
water), etc.  By midnight we thought we had lost the battle.  The vet left us
with a bunch of meds and said good luck your going to need it.   The horse's
gums were gray & dry.  He (the vet) didn't think it looked good.  The horse
had a bad compaction and the bowels were very extended, on the right side of
the horse.
    To make this short, the horse did make it but by the time he went poop
(at 5:30am) what came out shocked us both.  It was poop all right but it was
half hydrated pellets along with oil and such.  It sort of looked like
concrete with rocks in it.  Uck!
    I hadn't given him pellets from the time we had left the stables (Friday
am), so I was shocked.  His hydration was never lower than a B during the
ride.  I did notice that his poop was very loose at the last VC at 6 miles
out and was a little worried about him dehydrating.  But I only had 6 miles
to go and thought that was a safe distance to go on.  The horse was still
showing no signs of pain or even tired.  Like I said, I even showed for BC.
Didn't win but I'm a lightweight and my finish time was about 45 minutes from
1st.
    So I never feed any pellets or grains without FULLY hydrating it.  I even
wet my hay down at the rides if I can.  Wouldn't want one of my horse's going
through that ever again.  Why risk the chance.
    BTW the horse was sold to someone, after doing 18 more months of
endurance with a lot of top tens, and they are still doing top tens on him.
It was just one of those risky learning curves!  Anybody that knows me, just
for the record, it was Basko.
Tammy Robinson