Re: Mcclelland saddles

I have used and still occasionally use a McClellan saddle.  I liked it.
Had lots of rings and things for attaching stuff, could use a crupper and
it was SO light.  It fit my horse nicely (he is high withered) and was so
much cooler for him and for me.  It held me in the saddle and made me feel
quite secure without having a lot of bulk to it.  You can purchase
reproductions for various prices...check at www.ebay.com and search for
McClellan.  However, do NOT buy any of the cheap ones...I did and am sorry.
 It was worthless.  Check with a saddle company (I think I have seen them
around $500-600?). Also, one can purchase originals in good
condition...there is a local guy here whose father used to recondition them
and collected them.  They are in top notch shape, usable and quite durable
and he sells them for around $200.  Don't know if he has any more but I
could check for you.  I am thinking of getting another one as I previously
had a decent reproduction that I used the devil out of...it needs some
repair but I miss it.  So does my horse, I think.  When I was asking about
McClellan saddles, a lot of people responded to me with their experiences
and I am sure you will get plenty of response, too.  Good luck!

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657