Re: Dressage and Endurance

>I don't do Dressage. I need too I just can't afford the lessons. I Have
>tried the self taught stuff.
>so me and my pokey horse will just enjoy the trails and comunicate the only
>way we know how. I will use some leg and a little touch on the rein. we will
>warm up in the yard with some figure eights and working around the buckets.
>Nope no cones..

Jane Savoie (Olympic dressage rider, author, lecturer) was self
taught...didn't have an instructor nearby when she was starting out...also
didn't have the money to afford bigshot lessons.  It can be done!  There
are tons of books and videos out there that can help educate any rider in
the principals of dressage training.  You don't have to take formal lessons
for the education to count!  The advantage to taking the lessons is having
an eye on the ground and someone who can help you develop the feel of
having your body in the correct position, your legs at the correct (most
effective and balancing) angles, explain concepts and integrate
information, and so on.  The top dressage riders still have coaches...but
it doesn't mean you can't apply the principals if you don't have anyone
that can "teach" you...especially if you're not trying to be competitive in
the dressage arena.  If you can, definitely take advantage of lessons if
there is a trainer in your area.  If there isn't a trainer nearby, go to
the books and videos and study the training concepts.  It will all help in
the long run.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm