Rabble Rousing

Gesa wrote---
Are we going to lose our sport to something else.....
I hope it doesnt change much more.   gesa n clovis

Well, the sport has changed a lot since I started in '79 or '80.  Some people DO have bigger and grander rigs, our horses' needs are better understood and met,  they do turn out faster times and most are now healthier and happier at the completion of rides.  Unless we want our sport to stagnate and die it must continue to grow, change and evolve.

That said, however, endurance provides the avenue for any and all to participate at whatever level and speed we wish.  There are no requirements for style or age of tack, dress or equipment (and you don't gain or loses points because of it).  Heart monitors aren't required, and adults are free to ride without helmets if we choose.   We are welcome to ride with or without a crew (and there are some of us who wish we were lucky enough to have a friend who always crewed for us).

Not everyone wants to ride in International competition but for those who choose to it's very exciting and rewarding.  And, yes, those races won't necessarily be conducted like those in our country.  Just riding in different regions is quite an eye-opener.

AERC has come a long way since it's beginning but one thing remains constant:  We can still ride our own ride!
I think that's what attracts most riders to endurance rather than CTR.

Betty
So. Oregon