From: <guest@endurance.net>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 7:16 AM
Subject: RC: Stubbens are like fine wine!

> Diane Nelson safehavn@fast.net
> A well-made Stubben is like a fine wine, it "ages" beautifully and seems
to fit most every occasion (or horse's back in this case!).  One thing to
remember though - they should be stuffed to fit the horse's back.  New
Stubbens tend to come overstuffed so a good saddler can take some of it out
and distribute the flocking to conform to your horse's back.

> Yes, it is true that the panels are not very broad, as some of the English
endurance types, so it's weight distribution is not optimal.  For that
reason I would not recommend it for distance riding where you are after the
turtle award.  But a well-balanced rider on a saddle that fits like a glove
is far better off than than a bad rider on a poorly fitting saddle (or any
other of those combinations you care to name).

> There are some new technologies out now - an air bladder system that
substitutes for flocking and can be altered to suit a particular horse.  I'm
looking into that system for a used Stubben VSD that I got off of eBay for a
very reasonable cost.

> The good thing about Stubbens is that they can be found used just about
everywhere so you don't necessarily need to invest in a brand new model.