Stubbens are like fine wine!

Diane Nelson safehavn@fast.net
A well-made Stubben is like a fine wine, it "ages" beautifully and seems to fit most every occasion (or horse's back in this case!).  One thing to remember though - they should be stuffed to fit the horse's back.  New Stubbens tend to come overstuffed so a good saddler can take some of it out and distribute the flocking to conform to your horse's back.

Yes, it is true that the panels are not very broad, as some of the English endurance types, so it's weight distribution is not optimal.  For that reason I would not recommend it for distance riding where you are after the turtle award.  But a well-balanced rider on a saddle that fits like a glove is far better off than than a bad rider on a poorly fitting saddle (or any other of those combinations you care to name).

There are some new technologies out now - an air bladder system that substitutes for flocking and can be altered to suit a particular horse.  I'm looking into that system for a used Stubben VSD that I got off of eBay for a very reasonable cost.

The good thing about Stubbens is that they can be found used just about everywhere so you don't necessarily need to invest in a brand new model.

Enjoy....

Diane in buried in snow Allentown, PA

Won't be riding for a good long time (sigh).