Re: Re: Re: head carriage and split reins

> A long term solution involves a lot of training......training the horse to
> give to the bit and to drop its head on cue. The reason the horse flings
its
> head up and hits us on the lip is because they're trying to escape the
> discomfort of us pulling on the bit. Horses don't like the continuous
> pressure of being held even if there isn't pain involved, and usually pain
> is a factor as well. So it boils down to the question: do we want to take
> the time to train our horses to respond to the cues or do we want to use
> head restraints and muscle 'em? Both ways work. Seems to me it's just a
> matter of choice.

 Yep training is the key word here, but if you are not spending your time
training the horse, then what business do you have taking that horse to an
endurance ridd in the first place? that type of training should be some of
the first things a horse learns, so if that horse is ready for an endurance
ride then you didnt do your training right.

Anna and Keith and all our critters in New Mexico
(horses) Hobo(the old man) Shy Ann (the Mule)
Lizzy (momma) and Lightning (baby)
(Basenjis) Lady Queen of the house, and
her two sons George and Iceman and finally
Lilly (the prairie dog)

" I should have liked to draw the attention of the whole learned fraternity
of blacksmiths, who mutilate horses  the world over.  The hooves were as
solid and as sound as ivory, without a crack or wrong growth of any sort. It
is noticeable that the equine race, in its wild state, has none of the ills
of the species domesticated.  The sorrows of horse-flesh are the fruits of
civilization." W.E. Webb(1872)
visit my website at
http://www.shyann.friendpages.com
or at