Re: Re: head carriage and split reins

>....it's enough to keep his head from coming back far enough to smack
> me but I actually think that its presence prevents the behavior more than
> the tie down itself does!  Same thing with the martingale.  Before anyone
> starts flaming, I don't believe they are long term solutions to the
> problem.

Maggie,

A long term solution involves a lot of training......training the horse to
give to the bit and to drop its head on cue. The reason the horse flings its
head up and hits us on the lip is because they're trying to escape the
discomfort of us pulling on the bit. Horses don't like the continuous
pressure of being held even if there isn't pain involved, and usually pain
is a factor as well. So it boils down to the question: do we want to take
the time to train our horses to respond to the cues or do we want to use
head restraints and muscle 'em? Both ways work. Seems to me it's just a
matter of choice.

No criticism meant, just my thoughts on the subject.

Sharon
So. California