Re: Wild lands and being informed

Hi,
 Being informed and on guard is great, but it is not enough. In order to
assure that horses are included, you have to become involved in a hands on ,
face to face level with your local government agencies that are in charge of
trail access issues. And it helps to be friends with the private land owners
too. Believe me, I know, I have been very active in this respect for 20
years here in Southern Arizona. We made several large sections of the
Arizona Trail , during the planning of a local endurance ride. The FS loved
us,(and still do !), we marked and treadded trail for months in preparation
for the ride, ALSO taking in consideration the needs of the riparian areas
(very rare and very delicate here), and the hikers and birders, and what the
govening agencies wanted to accomplish. I cannot say enough about the
importance of shareing and getting along with others in our wild spaces. If
you want to preserve a new area, and still be able to ride there, make a
proposal and offer your skills and become involved physically so that you
are not only informed and "on guard" but are also a participant in
establishing our privilages to ride in what open spaces we have left. As to
changing how the general public views horses, that's the easy part. One
person at a time. You are the ambassador for your chosen activity, horseback
riding. This means that you can , with every  person you meet on the trail
that is not riding, establish a respectful , pleasant  and sometimes
informative , short-term positive relationship. Most people I meet are on
the trails I use, to do the same thing, enjoy nature, so this gives us all
whom are out there a common bond. Be NICE to the tourists folks, they are
just as entitiled to be there as we are.We must all work together  or there
will not be any wild spaces for anyone to enjoy.
 My question is that , in regards to the "hilly grasslands" that you were
going to put a ride on in, what happened ? Was anyone "on guard" or informed
about the change ? Can you still get involved in the agencies that are in
control ? Why not ? Who is in charge ? How can you improve the whole picture
? Perhaps a ride put on to financially benefit the area would work. Are
there any other outdoor enthusiasts like birders (who often do a ton of free
research for the Game and Fish Departments) that you can ally yourself with
? Can you offer a service to the agency in charge that will enhance what
they are trying to do ?
Dru