Twas the Night Before Christmas-Another Perspective

This appeared in this month's issue of Georgia Equine Rescue League's
monthly publication.  Having enjoyed/endured? :} all the recent posts on
ethical treatment of horses, thought many of you might like this. Used
by permission of GERL.

If you're interested in what they are doing their web site is:

http://www.gerlltd.org/

Sorry, Steph...just couldn't resist. Merry Christmas, All...

Jim and Sun of Dimanche

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS

Twas the night before Christmas but my manger was bare
My coat is still matted, the spots that aren't bare.
My thirst shows no mercy on this day of the lord
My stall is still filthy, manure covering the floor.

Outside the stars are brilliant, in the clear sky they shine
Peace and love fill the world, except in the corner that's mine.
Here cold and hunger are more the rule
The season's joys and blessings aren't shared by the cruel.

My owner is comfortable, all snug in his bed
He doesn't care that I haven't been fed.
But then out in the pature, what should I hear
But the sound of a sleigh and hoofs of reindeer.

I peered out the stall for there rose quite a clatter
As Santa strode in to see what was the matter.
"I heard your poor suffering, even from afar
Your owner doesn't deserve you, the good horse you are".

The scowl on his face didn't fit the jolly old elf
His anger had gotten him quite beside himself.
He threw open the stall door and in a flash
Had my rack filled with hay and my feeder with mash.
You enjoy this, he said as he stode to the house
I'm going to stir up more than a little old mouse!

As I munched I looked to see what would occur
Santa entered the house and caused quite a stir.
He grabbed my owner by the back of his shirt
He pulled him to the barn where he stopped with a jerk.
"This horse is God's creature, placed in your care"
Santa fairly shouted, his wrath filling the air.
"You have used and abused him for far too long
And, worse, you don't even think it is wrong!"

"I have your Christmas list" said Santa, opening his coat
"You want tops and gizmos, a new car and a boat."
Said Santa "your gift this year is much better by far
Than any shiny new toys, or even a car."

My owner's eyes grew wide and filled with fear
Not sure what is was that next he would hear.
Santa took a deep brath, then said with a sigh
"You shall switch lives with this little guy"!

Then laying his finger beside of his nose
He winked at me and switched our roles.
I was no longer a horse, all battered and thin
But stood on two feet, wearing a grin.

The horse in the stall neighed loudly in protest
Santa just smiled and shook his head as he left.
And I heard him exclaim as he drove out of site
"Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night."

I watered my horse and cleaned his stall
Amazed that there are some season's blessings after all!

Written by:  Vickie Crowe