RE: RC: bitting questions (even longer)

Abby,
Thanks for the response.
The non-bitted bridle I am using is similar to the "one with the X under the
chin" but slightly modified,  In the bitless mode, it would operate the
same.  The horse really likes it and responds well - I have considered just
sticking with it, but I am nervous about taking a 4/5 yr old to rides next
year w/o a bit.  And I do want to understand the problem.

BTW, I am trying not to say "Bitless Bridle" because that term has been
trademarked by the guy making the bridle that crosses under the chin and
while mine is similar, I have modified it and am selling my version too.
But it's tough, it's sort of a descriptive term and so many people have used
it for so many bridles.

I think you are right that it is a combination of me and the bit.  The
horse, Sudan, does his little stretchy thing occasionally w/o the bit and I
do think it started with that nose in the air thing that some young horses
do - he's being defiant and I need to be better at reprimanding him.

But because I do feel there is a bit element to it - I don't want to punish
him for saying this hurts!  The reason I think there is a bit element to it,
is because I've been trying to use the reins/bit when we're on the trail
even when I know he's going to follow the trail anyhow.  I'm doing this to
get him more used to understanding the cues because he is not as confident
in the arena or in a field with no trail.  He doesn't quite get that he can
look to me for guidance.  So even sometimes on the trail, when I'm asking
him to do a turn that he'd be doing anyhow, he'll react - so I'm
interpreting that as discomfort rather than defiance.

Michelle Fink was kind enough to lend me several bits.  I've only tried one
so far as I want to try it for several days to keep the "mood" factor out of
it.  This bit is a mullen mouth with a couple different places the reins can
attach - either with little to no leverage or with some (short shanks, so
not that much).  I have never used a bit like this before, so know very
little about what to expect.  But I operated in my hands and don't feel it
will be severe.  It is skinnier and I think I like the way it looks in his
mouth better than the fat snaffle.  It is a solid bar with a slight curve
over the whole length.

Anyhow, I tried it yesterday.  One of the things I like about my bridle is
that I can add a bit and use reins in a lot of different ways, even a half
bitless, half bitted mode.  So I started with the bit in his mouth, but just
used the "bitless" mode to get him used to the feel.  After establishing his
mood (good) by working in the round pen doing small circles on the big
circle, I stopped and connected the reins to the non-leverage setting.  I
immediately noticed that he would respond to a request to turn much faster
with this bit than his other bit.  Maybe even a little better than when
bitless.  I did get a little bit of him sticking he nose out defiantly, but
not bad.  I reprimanded lightly because I was still not sure of the reaction
to more pressure on this bit.  He behaved.  After that, he tried stretching
his head down - not in defiance but more stretching his topline, so I
allowed that.

I did some backing and worked on the few lateral moves we've started.  He
responded to backing 100% better than with the other bit.  He was almost too
responsive!  Previously he's only backed happily without the bit.

I think we'll be working this out for a while, with just as much effort on
me as him, but it will help having other types of bits to play with.  BTW,
the other bits are each 3 piece snaffles, one o-ring, one eggbutt, with the
main difference is that one has the center piece vertical and the other
horizontal.

What is your opinion on deciding to just not use a bit on a horse?  I'm
really impressed with his abilities and reactions to new environments and he
hasn't made me even remotely nervous to ride him yet (amazing since 2 years
ago I was scared to death to ride!) so I would think about doing this on him
more than any of the older horses I've got.

Thanks for the advice,
Marlene