Fw: white hair

www.vtc.net/~ageorge
----- Original Message -----
From: Annie George
To: bagot@fgi.net
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 6:11 AM
Subject: white hair

I have given this allot of thought over the years. While white hair is generally thought of as an indication of saddle troubles, it is not always the case. White hair is caused by excessive heat or cold as well as pressure. Freeze branding is no pressure, but it is cold, and you have white hair because the follicle is destroyed. Heat is the same, not all heat is caused by pressure.I have seen allot of horses with white hair and no sore back. I think sometimes some horses just have a little more sensitivity to the heat that is going to be present under the saddle whether it fits or not. And I have come to the conclusion that while I certainly do not want to see white hair coming under one of MY saddles, it is not always the horrifying thing we have come to view it as. The definite glairing white spot is generally a pressure problem. But the slight salt and pepper shading over an undefined area is generally heat, The trouble is that you will go thru a shedding season before you can be sure which it is. However, if there is no soreness, movement problems, or any other indication, such ad heart rate, next day stiffness or tenderness, etc. Maybe you could recheck your pad. What's it made of, is it a "hot" material, for instance, One of my horses cant stand wool pads, I've seen some react to synthetics. I also feel that some horses generate a bit more heat for one reason or another, genetics, feed, skin, age, breed, So many variables to deal with it is hard to figure out these things about horses. Now none of this is carved in stone, it's my opinion and some food for thought, just offering some suggestions. If I can help you in any way please E/me. Good Luck, Annie
www.vtc.net/~ageorge