Re: RC: bitting questions (long)

So here I am FINALLY getting back to this ... for those on RC, Marlene
posted eons ago about some bitting/behavior issues she was having with
her young horse.  As I worked on the response today, I realized that
some of this might be useful to others.  You can scroll down to find her
original post.
- - - - - -
There are a few different possibilities for what's happening here.

You said the horse responded differently to the trainer using a
different bit than to you.  That indicates that the difference is either
you or the bit. (possibility #1/2)

You said the horse went okay in a bitless bridle (is that the one with
the "X" under the chin, or a basic sidepull, or another hackamore?),
which indicates that the bit is the problem (#2).  But you also said
that the horse had recently had some "issues" regarding setting the
speed and control, etc., which indicates that there may yet be something
about you (#1) that's different.  It's not unusual for there to be
multiple factors at work, you know - part of why "quick fixes" aren't
usually effective for very long.

So, you can try changing the bit (#1) to find something he'll like
better, or you can try changing the way you use your seat and hands, and
possibly changing your perspective (#2).  I would suggest that you do
both.

The Perspective Thing:
Sometimes we as riders need a reminder of who is in charge, here, and
it's important that if you say stop or slow down YOU HAVE TO MEAN IT.
It's like the parent who says "Okay, sweetie, it's time for bed" to
their kid 42,358 times without following up on it, and then complains
that the kid isn't responsive.

This is extremely common with horses when they reach about 4 ... they're
hitting adolescence, and have decided that They Know All About This, and
the rider assumes that since the horse has been to a trainer and been
trained, it should do what it's supposed to do.  After all, the trainer
didn't have any problems with it.  This is an age and a time in training
when Consistency and Follow-Through are of the essence, because the
snot-nosed brat has decided HE is in charge.

Regarding bitting:
If the horse is leaning & hanging, then there may be too much tongue
pressure, or the bit may be too fat.  Thinner is not necessarily more
severe, if there's inadequate space inside the horse's mouth for the big
fat bit.  If the horse is tossing his head, then the joint of the bit
may be touching the palate, in which case a french mouth bit would be in
order.

Things I would stay away from under the circumstances are: Dr. Bristol
bits (look a lot like a french mouth but the third piece in the middle
is rotated so that it puts a sharp pressure on the center of the
tongue); curb bits, especially jointed curbs (a curb is a higher-level
bit, best not to go that route until *after* you've got the horse
working well in a snaffle, especially a 4 year old); specialty bits,
like gags and elevators ... you'd have to really work hard to convince
me of a need for that on just about any horse, especially a distance
horse.

To all, especially Stef:
I'm happy to entertain discussion on these issues, but I have no desire
to enter into any highly charged arguments about the value of various
pieces of equipment.  If I think you're looking for a fight, I will not
respond on-list or privately.  This is the holiday season, and I'm quite
enjoying the Peaceful Ridecamp these days.

-Abby B

--
* * *
Abby Bloxsom