Re: RC: Saving Our Trails

Colleen

I am sure you will hear from other AERC members, but I want you to know that
AERC is very active in the trail access and preservation issue.  Jerry Furth
is the Trails Committee Chairperson, and has written several columns of AERC
activity, as well as what we as membvers can do.  Also, several AERC
members, Lif Strand among them, have established a webpage for AERC trail
issues.

This site will indicate if there is a AERC representative from Nevada for
you to contact.  If not, you may want to voluneer to keep AERC informed on
trail's issues in your state.

Since that land is being developed, it doesn't sound like working something
out with the owners will do much to help now.  However, you could have
spoken out at a permit hearing about the need for open space and room for
equestrians.  There may be a web site with your county that lets you know
what permits are being asked for.  Once you identify the areas you like to
ride in, that will help you keep track of potential development.

Do you have other riders there who like the space and want to maintain trail
access?  Maybe some of you local folks could get together and work with
property owners on keeping places open for horses.  A little help with the
few fences they may have, or helping put in easy open/close gates or such
could alleviate the "fenced out" situation.

Gaining permission to ride in an area - regardless of the wide open space it
seems to be - owned by a private party sure helps minimize
misunderstandings.  And it also gives you a chance to talk up endurance
riding.  Courtesy and concern on your part sure may make those property
owners feel better about neighbors and riders.

Unfortunately, where there is beautiful country, the houses will keep
coming.

Don't give up, Colleen, you and your fellow Nevadan AERC members can make a
difference for open, equestrian space!

Janet