Re: RC: Equine Infectious Anemia

Yes, Howard, horses can and do die of Equine Infectious Anemia.  I have not personally seen one do so, but have talked with colleagues who have--and it is not a pretty way to go.  Furthermore, some horses with EIA undergo repeated and debilitating cycle of fever and anemia--also not a happy picture.  The main problems with EIA are 1) there is no cure, 2) there is no vaccine, and 3) the horses become carriers, often for life.  I've heard the patter before about it being such an innocuous disease, and sorry, but it just ain't so.

Heidi