Re: RC: Re: Re: XP rides

> Okay, so if they add molasses to the pellets -- is that to hold the
pellets
> together or to make it more palatable for the horses?  I can't tell that

A little of both, plus it reduces dust in the mills and is a little easier
on the processing equipment.  But we're not talking a lot in any case,
generally less that 5%.

> I don't have time (or it's too cold) to soak the pellets.  So if I did
want
> to make the BP more palatable, what do you think would be better to add -
> molasses or brown sugar?

A handful of brown sugar is easier to mix in, molasses invariably makes a
mess.  Or, you can mix a bottle of molasses or Karo corn syrup (light or
dark) into a gallon jug of water, shake it up really well and pour a glug or
two into the beet pulp before you feed it, that works too.

 If you did do that on occasion, is there any
> concern over rotting out our horses teeth?

Nah.  Horses have a much heavier enamel layer, and their teeth don't have to
last 70 years.  And their diet isn't as conducive to formation of oral
bacteria as ours are.

  I've been told not to feed
> sugar cubes, that it'll rot their teeth -- is that an old wives tale?

Pretty much.  Probably invented by a mom that got tired of having to explain
to her kids why it was okay for the horses to have candy, but they
couldn't.<g>

susan g