Re: RC: questions on slow recovery (long)

In a message dated 12/1/00 9:59:34 AM Pacific Standard Time, RhndLev@cs.com
writes:

<<  Also, should I go ahead and wean the
 baby?  Will that make Mom feel better or worse?  >>
I would think the mare doesn't need any more stress at this time.  Her bag
will fill and make her uncomfortable along with having your current problems.
 Worrying about the foal is not a good thing at this time.  I would hydrate
your pelleted food (make it mushy!) and wet down any other hay.  Stay off
grains and other supplements for a while.  Roughage (hydrated) is the best
and if she is dehydrated she might need IV fluids.  So wet things down for
the moment and maybe call your vet out to add some IV fluids, just to help
her out.  With cold weather, nursing and pelleted food this is asking for
problems.

Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite Ranch & Products
661/513-9269