questions on slow recovery (long)

Last weekend, I had a horse colic for the first time ever.  I had just
brought her and her foal in from the back pasture to get the foal accustomed
to the paddock and stall where he's going to be weaned.  Mom, however,
reacted badly to the change from pasture to hay and a pelleted complete feed.
 I managed to get the mare up and walking; she defecated and drank.

My regular vet had quit practice.  The vet I've lately begun using did not
come because she said, based on what I told her, she did not believe the mare
was in danger.  Called it a "minor digestive upset."  I told the vet I had
never experienced colic before and wasn't really comfortable with my ability
to assess the horse's condition such that we could do a diagnosis over the
phone.  Vet said I knew more than the majority of horses owners and was
slightly overprotective to boot, and she was comfortable.  Also told me not
to give banamine unless the mare became much more uncomfortable and to give
her about half her regular feed in the morning.  Well, Mom remained so
uncomfortable -- wringing her tail and shifting her weight from one back leg
to the other -- that I gave her banamine that night.  I followed the vet's
instructions in the morning and the mare ate VERY slowly, which is unlike
her.

It's been since Sunday and the mare continues to appear stressed to me.  I've
kept her at about half rations because she did not seem eager to eat or drink
until this morning and remains very lethargic.  She has deep lines around her
eyes and her flanks are sunken.  I've been warming her water and have begun
adding warm water to the pelleted feed because she appears dehydrated to me
(skin tenting on the shoulder -- slow capillary refill).  I also added
"Digest Aid" to her food to assist with digestion.  Her anal tone is good,
and she was enthusiastic about her food for the first time this morning.

So, since the vet is not returning my calls, I'm wondering if anyone can tell
me if it's normal for a horse to take this long to recover from what the vet
says is only a "minor digestive upset"?  Also, should I go ahead and wean the
baby?  Will that make Mom feel better or worse?  The mare, by the way, is 22
years old.  I don't know if that makes any difference.

Rhonda and Special