RE: Re: Coggins

Here is the latest on line from the Michigan rules. It was dated 1994 so
there could be some new regs not yet available.

Bob Morris

R  287.710   Equine infectious anemia.
  Rule 10. (1) Equine that test positive to an official EIA test and their
herd of immediate origin shall be quarantined by the director.
  (2) Equine that test positive to an official EIA test may, with approval
from the director, be moved and  quarantined  to  a  premises  that  is  a
minimum of 1/4 mile away from any other equine.
  (3) Equine that test positive to an official EIA test may, with approval
from the  director,  be  quarantined  and  segregated  in  an  insect-free
enclosure as determined by the director.
  (4) The owner or owners or agent or agents of  an  EIA  source  herd  or
herds shall allow the director to test, in accordance with  the  following
schedule, the complete source herd with an official  EIA  test  after  the
official EIA-test-positive equine have been removed or segregated from the
herd in a manner approved by the director.
  (a) Between the dates of November 1 and April 30, a source herd  may  be
tested at any time and qualify for quarantine release if  all  the  tested
equine are negative to an official EIA test.
  (b) Between the dates of May 1 and October 31,  a  source  herd  may  be
tested  after  waiting  a  minimum  of  30   days   after   the   official
EIA-test-positive equine have been removed or segregated from the herd. If
all equine tested are negative to the official EIA  test,  the  quarantine
may be released.
  (5) The director  may  conduct  epidemiological  investigations  on  all
equine that have possible exposure to official EIA-test-positive equine to
determine the need for additional quarantining and official  EIA  testing.
  (6) Official EIA-test-positive equine shall not be destroyed or  removed
from the original test location or premises without prior permission  from
the director.
  (7) If the owner  chooses  to  destroy  the  official  EIA-test-positive
equine, permission shall first be obtained from the director. The director
shall issue a quarantine release  and  be  present  when  the  equine  are
destroyed.
  (8) Unless  immediately  destroyed,  official  EIA-test-positive  equine
shall be identified by the director with the freeze brand 34A, which shall
be in characters not less than 2 inches in height and placed on  the  left
cervical area of the neck,  or  shall  be  identified  in  another  manner
approved by the director.