Re: Re: Was Losers/Dressage Tests

At 03:03 AM 11/29/00 +0200, Tracey wrote:
>Granted, it might lack the immediate excitement of racing or jumping, but it
>has its own thrills and challenges, not least of which is getting your horse
>to be obedient, rhythmic, and attentive for five minutes whilst his buddy
>yells his head off from the trailer, a stallion squeals behind him in the
>collecting ring, some horse gets loose in the warm-up arena and tears around
>at high speed, and a car goes past blaring some electioneering jargon from
>megaphones and blasting rap music from the radio (yes, I've ridden this
>dressage test and survived!).

And there's the quick exit out of the arena when the helicopter comes up
over the trees right after they start the engines on the racetrack...all
within just a few hundred feet!  Or the flying side-pass at the sight of
the photographer with his video set-up and almost ending up in the bleachers.

>I have come to the conclusion that a good dressage horse will be a balance
>between exhibitionism (a willingness to show off extravagant paces) and
>obedience (a willingness to do the paces you dictate, as opposed to the ones
>he wishes to do at that particular moment).  It is finding that balance that
>is the challenge.

Very nice description, Tracey!

>And for those of you who think that dressage is "boring", "staid" and
>"safe", you should get along to an eventing dressage test.  Watching those
>fit, over the top horses explode in the middle of the ring is something
>else.

I lived in terror of my dressage tests.  I have no capacity to memorize the
movements (I would've been a terrible dancer) and stage fright would take
over in a monumentous way.  A couple of years ago a friend (an
anesthesiologist) and big-time dressage enthusiast said that riding tests
was more stressful than a "triple-A" (medical jargon for a ruptured aortic
aneurysm and, from the OR standpoint, one of the worst things you want to
get called in on :-p) -- which sort of matched my sentiments exactly. <g>
And yet...some people love it!!  I don't understand this, but I do accept
that this phenomena exists. ;-)

I swear I'll never ride another one...but I *do* keep my show clothes all
nice and tidy in their carriers *just in case*! <g>  I love doing the
training and teaching the horses new skills.  I've enjoyed taking lessons
and attending clinics tremendously and wouldn't dream of educating a horse
any other way -- and it's *especially* important for endurance horses who
work for long hours and have to last many years.

Just don't make me ride in a show!! ;-)

Sue