[Fwd: Re: RC: All I Want For Christmas is a GPS <<<<<<<<]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: RC:  All I Want For Christmas is a GPS <<<<<<<<
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:37:36 -0500
From: Jim Holland <lanconn@tds.net>
To: Cyberpony@aol.com
CC: ricecamp@endurance.net

Nora..

The best without a doubt for what we "trailblazers" do is the GARMIN
GPSIII+.  I bought mine about a year ago after agonizing about which
one, thrashing through all the WEB sites, etc.  What makes the this
product head and shoulders above all others is than you can buy a CD
from Garmin which will allow you to download actual Topographic Maps
with a product called MAPSOURCE CD of any area anywhere.  You don't have
to translate latitude and longitude to hard copy maps to find out where
you are or where you've been. You can print trails, map areas, just
about anything you want.  There are also other map products which have
greater detail than the Garmin Mapsource product that will allow you to
upload waypoints to them. (You can't download the actual Topographic
Maps from them, tho)  After I get my trail waypoints defined, I upload
just the waypoints to a product called TOPO!GPS USA which give me
greater detail and lots of manipulation options.  The neat thing about
doing it this way is that you can also decide where you want to ride,
pick the elevation contours you want to follow, around mountains, over
creeks, etc. BEFORE you ever go out there. Simply mark waypoints of what
looks like the best route and download them to your GPSIII.  When you
get back you can upload where you "marked" your trail with waypoints.
It's simply amazing! The GPSIII+ also has a zillion other things,
including a "trackback" feature which is sorta like dropping
breakcrumbs.

The Garmin GPSIII+ comes with a serial port cable.  (That's what the
"plus" means)  All you need is a serial port on your PC.  Very simple to
use.

Garmin's WEB site is:

http://www.garmin.com/

Jim Holland and Sun of Dimanche - AERC 4074