Re: going bitless

I use a few different sidepulls:  rope, lariat nose, bosal nose, and now a
Freedom Bridle...

The rope nose and rope sidepulls will rope-burn the horse's nose if you have
to do alot of one rein stops (ex. a horse that needs a zillion small
sidepulls so she doesn't go tooo fast).  I have a hard time keeping my
horse's nose out of the grass with the rope halter sidepull.

I currently use a sidepull that was made with a bosal nosepiece.  It's
fairly pricey at $125.  It's got a very stiff thick braided rawhide
nosepiece that is formed to the nose and when you pull to the side, it will
not roll across the nose and cause rub marks.  It has a pair of side rings
braided into the rawhide nose, and it also has a jowl strap to keep it from
the horse's eye (works as a longe caveson).  I can send contact info for the
old cowboy that handmakes them.  You can see the sidepulls at:
http://www.redwrench.com/mischorse/rides/ahj-073000/AandM.jpg  My sidepull
is wrapped in vetwrap for a little extra cush.  It's made to be ridden with
a loose rein.  It could be fairly severe (meaning you could bump the nose
hard with it), but in educated hands it is as gentle as you want.

I am currently trying a Freedom Bridle, which is similar to the Spirit
Bridle.  My friend made me one out of Biothane, and it can be ridden like a
normal english bridle, if you like to keep contact.  Again, it does not roll
across the nose.  I take dressage lessons using it.  It can also be used
with a bit, so that the bit has a milder effect than normal.  I have not had
to do an emergency stop with it, they are supposed to have good whoa, but I
can't attest to it.

Drop me a note if you have any other Q's or would like pictures.

Michelle
(Colorado)