going bitless

I have a green but very laid back gelding that I would like to start in some
type of hackamore or sidepull so we don't have to bother with a bit on next
years rides. I have a long shanked (sliester) hack for a different horse
(very broke but extremely competative) but the greenie doesn't need much stop
but needs more directional control. I had an S hack but didn't care for it. I
thought maybe an english type hack or just a sidepull of some sort. I rode
him in a regular halter but it was like a car without power steering. Maybe a
rope halter sidpull?

                                            Shelly in DE