Re: RC: Re: Barefoot endurance

At 01:17 AM 11/17/00, Robyn wrote:
>My 6 year old Arab gelding has never had shoes on in his life.

I think this is the key to riding a horse barefoot.  Never having put on
shoes, or having the horse run barefoot long enough for the *whole hoof* to
be conditioned for it.  Many people are taking off shoes for weeks or
months - this does toughen the bottom of the hoof, but what about the hoof
cells above the bottom?  I am thinking that barefoot for a whole life
influences more of the hoof structure than just the bottom surfaces.  We've
got horses here that are going on 12 that have never worn shoes.  The
hooves of some of them are *WHITE!!!* and still tough as they can be.  Lif

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html