Re: RC: Re: Barefoot endurance

In a message dated 11/15/2000 8:45:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< I would like to know if any other ridecampers have
 completed LDs or 50s barefooted or with just EZs over >>
My 6 year old Arab gelding has never had shoes on in his life. I condition
him barefoot in So. California on rocky hard terrian. He did his first LD
barefoot no problems ( although the trail footing was absolutely perfect).
His first 50 was at Bridgeport. I did Easy boot him as a precaution because I
was warned by many that this ride is rough/ rocky/ mountainous terrian. He
lost his hind easy boots early on in the ride. When I got to the 20 mile vet
check I asked the vet if I should easy boot him with a smaller size for the
rest of the ride. He said that my gelding seemed to be doing fine and he did
not think it would be necessary. So we went on to complete the rest of the
ride with no problems. His 2nd fifty two weeks later I rode him barefoot with
also no problems. This trail was mostly riverbed sand, some rocks but not
many, a few miles of asphalt bike paths etc.
This horse has really incredible feet. He never wears down hardly at all
after a ride. Next year I plan to do much more mileage. As long as he stays
happy and comfortable,  I would like to  continue to ride him barefoot on the
rides/ training rides and easy boot when necessary.
Robyn