Re: Barefoot Endurance?

Darolyn Butler wrote:

> re: below...  according to the purist on "barefoot".... traction is actually
> better barefoot,

> From: <RDShoe> I attended a lecture on that very study if its the one done If
> I remember
> > right in Mich.Lots of good info.As a farrier I was taught these three
> basic
> > reason for shoeing a horse. 1.Traction

I puzzled over that comment, too.  I always thought traction was better
barefoot.  Most of my horses are barefoot but I have shod some of them for rocky
rides.  I have a friend who is trying the natural barefoot method on her horse
that had always been shod and he seems to be doing well.  My farrier says, "If a
horse has NEVER been shod, keep him barefoot.  If it has been shod, shoe for
rocky rides."  So I've been shoeing for rocky rides.

Amber