Re: RC: Re: Re: electric fencing

In a message dated Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:54:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
"Lynette" <helgeson@ndak.net> writes:

<< In the past 20 years, I have done a lot of trailriding and I have seen
horse
contained and tied up many different ways. And in my experience I have seen
more horses hurt by being tied up then any other method. I have seen a lot
of electric corrals and I have yet to see a horse hurt by this method.

I am not saying that it can not happen, just that I have yet to see it.

Lynette Helgeson >>

The majority of electric fence injuries come not from the fences themselves
but from the mass hysteria that has followed a great many incidents when one
horse gets loose and "liberates" several more from their electric enclosures.
 Yep, I've patched up horses who have gotten in fights with whatever they
were tied to (trailer, etc.), and horses that have gotten hung up in panels,
and a few who have had lacerations from electric fence wire.  But the frailty
of electric fences when OTHER horses have knocked them down and turned the
enclosed horses loose has led to the most and the worst injuries that I've
had to treat in ride camps over the years.

Heidi