Re: RC: Re: Re: Barefoot Endurance?

In a message dated 11/15/00 9:41:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
helgeson@ndak.net writes:

<< I have definitely seen a difference with the natural trim and we ride more
 now then we did a few years ago. I think it is healthier for the horses to
 go barefoot. I am curious too, on how well these horses are going to do on
 the 50's without shoes. My girls have a couple of ponies that I think will
 do the 50's even without easy boots. Tough creatures, ponies are.

 Lynette >>

    Thanks Lynette, for responding.
    We use the Natural Balanced Shoeing Method, I think a lot of riders do at
this point in time.  Or should I say my son, Levi does.  He is our farrier.
Which, is about the same, only with metal on the bottom of the hoof.  I can't
even think that our horses could go barefoot with the riding we do.  I can
see maybe a once a month, 50 on a ride that has good footing but... Do you
really think a horse could go barefoot with your method for maybe 2 to 3 -
50's per month?  Not to mention what we do on multidays of 250 - 300 miles in
five days of riding?  Gosh, we even foam on Easyboots over shoes.  We've
always like to take an extra precaution against a stone bruise.  Horse's can
get foot sore just doing the miles, with weight on their backs and at an
unnatural speed to boot without extra protection, even with shoes.  Of
course, this depends on the terrain and the horse.  What do you think?  Would
you say it might work?
    I feel that nothing is natural about having your horse traveling this
many miles with extra weight on their backs.  I would like to see how you do,
once your in the upper mileage of competition.  Since we even wear shoes out
in 4 weeks time, I can't imagine hoofs being harder than metal.
    Good Luck, and keep us in touch, on your success.  This could be
interesting.
Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite Ranch & Products
661/513-9269