barefooted and sore

We just pulled shoes on the horses for winter on Friday.  The farrier rolled
the toes on the horses, which my previous farrier never did.  The horses
have been very footsore since (unusually sore).  Is there anything I can to
help them adjust, short of putting their shoes back on?  The worst part now
is the ground freezes at night, so there is not really any good soft place
to keep them.  The farrier also left a natural frog on them, is it possible
that trimming the frog would help them out?  He did not pare out any sole.
Unfortunately, I have to keep the horses in the rocky canyon pasture as it
has the best shelter for this cold weather.  They do walk around pasture all
night (as evidenced by their tracks), maybe they are not tooo sore??

The things I though of, but am not sure about:
- put front shoes on and let their hind feet toughen up first?
- turpentine?  does painting their soles help short term or is it a longer
term process?
- equi-pak?  I have some left, would packing their soles a little be better
for them or just slow the process?
- part time EZ boots?

Ideas, advice welcome!

Michelle