battery chargers

I have used a battery charger for 10 yrs now and am only on my 2nd charger.  They really work well, and put off a good charge.  I put new batteries in at the start of every season
whether they are needed or not then I know I don't run out in the middle of the season.  The ride my charger stopped working we tied a piece of hot wire fencing between my friend's pen and mine and on her battery charger we keep both fences hot and they registered high on the ground tester.  I think they work well.  I also put up 2 strands of wire more as a visible barrier.  Louise