electric fences

Susan Schomburg sschom@platte1.k12.wy.us
I have 7 acres of my 17 fenced solely in electric tape fence
here in windy Wyoming. I love the fence but I agree that in dry weather, it doesn't have quite the "zap" as it does when we have more moisture. If you use a solar fencer, I suggest you put it somewhere where it will get some moisture(near an artificial water source if possible). The fence has held up extremely well and I have it on 12 foot centers using the PVC sleeves and connectors. I have never had one break and I did have a yearling go through the fence when lightning struck a tree in the pasture. The best part of that whole incident is that the colt didn't have a scratch on him and I fixed the fence in a matter of minutes. I would recommend it highly if you can get a good ground. By the way, I use the Safe Fence brand.