Re: re. two point responseLONG... Grab a cup.

Re-read my post! I did not say it "was a bad idea" What I said was   "it can often lead you into troubled waters" which is absolutely true.  Our sport, and horse sports in general are growing extremely fast, there are allot of new horse people crowding into boarding barns, (look for a stall lately?) and human nature being what it is, there are always ones who have plenty to say about things they aren't really qualified to comment on.. Not to mean they don't mean well, of course they do, just as you and I both do, we all do.  The point is to seek QUALIFIED advise, and NO I do not recommend advice from  just ANYBODY.  Obviously we have to use some bit of discernment in deciding who is/is not QUALIFIED to advise someone.   Seeking advise and learning what to heed/disregard is a part of the horse learning experience that we all went, or are going thru, (nobody ever stops learning) sharing ideas in a healthy manner is how we learn, but it pays, big time ,to be careful. Again, I say, seek out a qualified instructor, your barn owner/manager may be able to recommend someone. Learning to do things rite and safely is  a trial and error experience any way. It's a really good idea to try to eliminate some of the pitfalls by spending some quality time thinking about WHO you are learning from/listening to. I have seen offhanded comments/advice cause great harm to horse and rider. In addition I would like to say that I feel we DO need more of our oldies helping out our newbies. And newbies actively seeking out oldies. We had a really good idea going on RC awhile back about a "mentor sign-up sheet" at rides, and it being a volunteer thing, where we could get together before the ride meeting and help walk the newbies thru the whole process, from meeting lingo, thru the ride, vet checks, trail care, ((finding the dad-blame trail,)) trail etiquette, and the after care of their horses.  I am a slow rider, to slow according to some of my hot shoe friends. I cherish the "view", it is why I do this.  I am more than happy to ride with, and help any one thru their first or first few rides, first timers need to go slow anyhow. I know allot of the oldies are still hot shoes, but allot of you are slow daisy pickers to. I hope this idea takes root and grows, I really feel it will  GREATLY  help the entire ride/learning/fun/its supposed to be fun, IT'S NOT A JOB !  ITS A SPORT!  FUN ! FUN ! FUN !!! experience for all of us. From the RM, not having to keep so close an eye on the first timers,  the vets, who I am sure would appreciate it. So You R.M's Please get that "Oldie/Newbie" sign up sheet   OR " Adult Sponsors" OR "Mentor Volunteers",  out there on the registration table. ((OR a fun idea, how about a hat drawing, Oldie volunteers draw Newbie names out of a hat till they are all gone. Could be a fun addition to the ride meeting. ))    Can we hear some comments from some of you RM's (Randy????) How do you RM's feel about this. Talk to us! To Finish is to WIN>  Annie George
www.vtc.net/~ageorge
----- Original Message -----
From: guest@endurance.net
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 9:55 AM
Subject: RC: re. two point response

Sarah Seward drive@nccn.net
ANYBODY, can be a good idea. You have to use your judgement, filter what you hear. even EXPERTS may give
 you the wrong advise for you and your horse.
I am not at all against getting a good instructor, don't get me wrong there.
I am eternaly grateful for the fantastic MENTORING that I recieved when I started. I still look for it everywhere,
but I only take a small (tiny?) percentage of what's offered. I hope I know what works for me.
When I look at new endurance riders, I often feel that they are not getting the mentoring that I think used to be so
easy to come by. I think that's too bad.