Re: RC: re: shaky mare

>Nikki Reynolds jakar@phonewave.net
>I was hoping by now that someone would come up with the name of this
>condition and an explanation.  My gelding and I had done a ride in
>early fall after a rainstorm in CA and when we got to the vet check
>at lunch, my horse was shivering and most of the others weren't.
>Now, I DO have a problem with him getting cold very easily, even
>while just out in pasture.  I was unsure at the ride whether or not
>he was just cold or whether I'd let him go too fast.  The vet had a
>$16 name for the condition... muscular somethingorother.  I've
>forgotten the term he used.
>
>Anyway, I told him I thought Jakar was simply cold because he'd been
>standing in the shade in the vetline (no choice) and our weather at
>home was still in the high 90's, whereas at this ride, it was much
>colder and breezy.  The vet said to blanket him and if the shivering
>stopped right away,(which it did) then he was just cold.  If the
>quivering continued or was confined to just a part of his body, then
>it was this other thing.  Now I'm curious about what this is, the
>metabolic cause, prevention, etc.  I've seen other horses with only
>their butt muscles or shoulder muscles quivering and I'm assuming
>this is what that vet was referring to.  Vets... can you help us out
>here please?  I'd like to know so I can tell the difference and
>whether my horse does have a problem with this.
>Nikki

Ember did that after Caspers, shoulder quivering.  Once she was
completely warm, it stopped and hasn't recurred.

I thought she was just very tired, and cold.  We used an anti-sweat
under a cooler, then switched to a dry day sheet for the trailer ride
home.  She was fine by the time we got home, about an hour.

Lynne