Re: developing topline

My best on-trail technique for developing topline is uphill walking, but
only *on the bit* (or at least on contact - more on that in a sec),
since walking uphill while allowing the horse to lean on the front end
and bob its head for momentum does nothing but make it tired.

To develop strength in the back/HQ, the horse has to use those muscles.
Walking downhill won't do that - it will teach the horse to engage (coil
the loin/abdomen) but not use its HQ & back muscles.  Backing uphill
won't do it either, that will strengthen the extensors of the hind (and
front, a bit) legs.  Both these need to be done on slight slopes.

Maintain enough contact to prevent the horse from bobbing its head, and
walk up hills, any size.

Also let me add a bit about type of exercise.  I had a mare who didn't
look twice at any jump under 4 feet (width was no problem - she was
awesome) and yet was consistently hollow on the flat.  The only way I
ever got her round was by finding the right bit.  And even that was only
after 15 years of CTR (1500 miles, including hundreds), dressage
lessons, jumping, combined training, and excellent instruction.

If the horse doesn't travel right, REALLY using themselves properly, NO
exercise will help them.  If the head ain't down and the back ain't up,
you won't make it happen.

Gotta go make dinner before my husband leaves me.

-A

--
* * *
Abby Bloxsom