From: Michelle Fink [mailto:michrowe@redwrench.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 9:02 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Cc: Dbeverly4@aol.com
Subject: RC: developing topline

In developing a strong, round topline on a horse, does walking hills do
more
or is trotting them better?  This horse is normally hollow at the trot
(her
back is tense and head is high), she is rounder at the walk (her back is
relaxed and her head is wither height).  I am not sure if trotting her
on
hills will teach her to use her back properly, or if walking hills will
strengthen her back so that she can trot hills with better form. ???  My
arena is muddy, so all the work is roadwork at this point.  I do some
suppling/dressage type work, and lots of transitions.  I am just not
sure
what the most effective way to proceed with hillwork is.  I would like
get her moving better before we start doing longer conditioning rides.

My inclination is to walk hills mostly, and do a few short trots on the
hills for the transitions.

All ideas welcome!

Michelle
(Colorado)