Re: Feeding a yearling

> Am I correct that "angular limb deformity" includes the variety of
phenomena
> variously described as "contracted tendons" and "club foot" (the mature
manifestation
> of an uncorrected contracture)?

My understanding is that angular limb deformities refers to bone-related
syndromes and do not specifically include contracted tendons and club foot.
However, contracted tendons definitely can have a nutritional component to
it in young horses and club feet may or may not (and often is secondary to
another syndrome that *does* have a nutritional component), so it's probably
a matter of symantics what you call it.

> Which breed(s) were used to generate this list of recommendations?

Specifically, I don't know, as the general guideline was derived from a
multitude of studies.  However, TBs and quarter horses are the breeds most
commonly used in clinical feeding trials, just because they're the most
available.

  I know
> that most grain companies recommend quantities for the mature horse that,
> if I fed it to my Morgans, would result in a Morgan so large it would
> collapse into a black hole.  And the recommended quantities aren't, say,
> 50% more than I use, they are more like 500% of what I need to use!
> (They seem to be based on trials with thoroughbred youngsters.)

I should have mentioned this originally, because htis is a good
point---regardless of what a label or textbook is telling you, use your own
eyeballs as a tool to determine the right amount of food for your horse.  If
a book says 'feed him ten pounds', but you know for a fact your horse will
be fat as a pig, mad as a hatter and/or colicking as a way of life....well,
don't do that.

Since excess energy is the primary factor leading to DOD problems, you
should feed a youngster enough so that they aren't skinny, but aren't fat,
either.  IMO, if you can't feel ribs EASILY, they're too fat.  You just want
a good, solid baby, not one rolling in baby fat.  So feed him whatever
amount required to give you that, and don't worry about what guidelines are
telling you if they aren't fitting your scenario.

> The most critical time for contracted tendons/club foot is the first year.
> If you get past that, it seems you are pretty much home free for deep
> flexor contracture.

The most critical time for *any* DOD is first year.

BTW, you might consider feeding a mix with more copper than what you're
currently feeding.  Copper is a biggie in contracted tendons.  Might
consider increasing the mare's copper in third trimester as well.

:-)

Susan G