re: bitting question

i have a horse very similar to what you describe....only he didn't want
to stop when i asked him to....i struggled with him for almost two years
until someone suggested a hackamore....i tried it about a month ago and
i swear i have a new horse....it is the difference between night and
day.....it has a leather braided noseband and long shanks...i borrowed
it from a friend so i'm not sure what kind it is.....i tried my horse in
a kimberwick with no luck....for me, the hackamore was a lifesaver....i
was about ready to give up on him...glad i didn't....hope this
helps......rowdygirl