Re: Peanut Hay?

You wrote:
> Does anyone know the place in the food change this stuff goes. My
> sister-in-law brought me home two more miniature horses to care for. The
> owner said they ate a handful a day.

> I feed Timothy and Alfalfa mixed hay. Real green, soft and tasty. This
> peanut hay looks soft and leafy, but tan. Is it rich like Alfalfa or low
> down on the list like coastal?

> Laurie

-------------------------------

Hi Laurie... A question: Is the peanut hay the perennial (used specifically in hay growing) or the annual peanut hay (common peanuts)?  Both are very different in nutritional value.

The numbers for perennial peanut hay (_Arachis glabrata Benth._), on the average of 12 samples tested are:

2.50 Mcals of digestible energy (DE) per kg
Crude protein = 13% (can go to 20% depending on the quality of the hay and cutting time)
Crude fiber = 24%
TDN = 54%.
Calcium = 1.05%
Phosphorus = 0.35

All numbers that I post are on a 100% dry matter basis... for hay, expect the "as fed" values to be about 90% of what you see listed.

The above nutritional information originated from the University of Florida a few years back.  This hay is considered as the "Alfalfa of the South" in the hot n' humid states, such as Georgia and Florida.  Ao, as far as general feeding value, yes, it is similar to alfalfa.

Annual peanut hay (_Arachis hypogaea_) is not as "nutrient-packed" as the perennial hay and also (in my experience) less palatable to horses (18 samples, NRC):

1.91 Mcals of DE per kg (100% dry matter)
Crude protein = 10.9%
Crude fiber = 33.4%
Calcium = 1.23%
Phosphorus = 0.16

Both hays have a high calcium to phosphorus ratio to keep a watchful eye on.  However, the digestible energy and crude protein in annual peanut hay is closer to coastal burmudagrass, in comparison.

I am wondering about your statement, "This peanut hay looks soft and leafy, but tan".  When a bale of brown-looking perennial peanut hay is opened, the hay inside should be a grayish green to grayish green blue in color, not tan or brown all the way through.  If the entire bale is brown or tan, then the quality of the perennial hay is much lower than it should be.  Just a thought :-).

Hope it helps, and good luck with the mini newcomers!

Kim (and the QH-mutt, 'Lee)

Red Horse Technologies, Inc.
Lubbock, TX