Re: RC: Off the track

Thanks for the information on Sunny.  If anyone knows of a young gelding
with Samtyr breeding that has Sunny's "people loving" disposition,
physical attributes, and  intelligence running around loose that needs a
home I would be interested. Mares are great, but as someone once said:
"You tell a gelding, ask a mare, and discuss it with a stallion" :)

Laurie, I think I sent the note on Sunny directly to you instead of
Ridecamp.  I tacked on my post below for those who didn't have a clue as
to what you were referring to.  Sorry about that. Would love to discuss
anything else you know about Sunny's ancestors.  Email me direct if you
have a minute sometime.

Jim Holland AERC 4074

> LAURIE AND WADE PEARSON wrote:
>
> Jim Holland wrote about his horses heritage, I just had a foot note.
>
> Son of Dimanches' sire was an former race horse yes. He ran for 6
> years, starting as a three year old and ran  73 races. That's a lot
> of training and racing miles. But the mother was the Samtyr
> granddaughter. And she was also a runner for a few years. 2 years and
> 14 starts $5,400.00.
>
> So lets here it for the mare!!!!
>
> I had a Samtyr son named Samsun. I stood him as a stallion for 2 years
> and then the French Stud purchased him to breed to their French mares.
> He loves France from what I'm told.
>
> Next time you are out and about look up RW By A Nose. She is one of
> Samsun's daughters. She is moving up the endurance ladder very nicely
>

> Laurie

While my little guy is not a reclamation from an Arabian Race Track, he
is "racing" bred.....Samtyr breeding.  His sire won $18,000 in racing
before becoming an Endurance horse.  They all seem to be very sensible,
willing, and VERY competitive. Sunny never did a LD ride.  I got him as
a two year old because he was too "laid back" to compete well in
racing.  He never trotted down a hill until he was 4.  I spent 5 long
years conditioning, (I live in the mountains of North Georgia....finding
a flat 100 yard stretch is hard) teaching him ground manners and to
listen.  He did his first 50 (Biltmore) as a 6 year old, finishing 18th
with a lot of horse left.  His second ride (Liberty Run) was a seventh
place.  He has rewarded my patience with 10 finishes (including Old
Dominion 50 - He's on the cover of the August Endurance News) in 11
rides, 5 Top Tens, including one win. I, for one, would buy another
racing bred Arabian.  Sunny is usually down within a minute into every
vet check. After racing almost a mile to the finish in Hungry Buzzard
60, his 20 minute CRI was 64/60. Great aerobics.  However, I can't
BELIEVE they race them as a 3 year old. I would recommend you get a VERY
good vet check before buying one off a race track.

Jim Holland AERC 4074