Re: RC: Re: easyboots and their height in front

At 05:26 PM 10/18/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm getting lots of great ideas!
>
>Regarding shortening the top edge of the EasyBoot at the front.... I had to
>shorten the cable according to Easyboot directions. Which puts the cable
>above the metal plate, which requires that the little bit of boot that is
>there stays there to protect her from the cable. Wow, complications! Would I
>be better off to shorten the straps before shortening the cable?

What size boot are you using?  When you have the boot on -- how does it
fit?  snug all the way around, or is there space on each side?  If you can,
I'd shorten the heel strap and leave the cable the regular way so you can
trim the boot down a hair.  However, you may want to experiment first with
the cable tightened -- maybe try it that way and just longe your horse and
see if the boots stay on and stay put (don't rotate around).  Once you cut
the heel strap to shorten it, you can't undo that.  You may want to try a
smaller size boot too.

  May need the lip to
>keep the riser pad from slipping out the back.

No, the pad won't slip out the back -- you've got the weight of your horses
foot between it and the easyboot.  Another thing you can do it put duct
tape around the top of the boot all the way around.  This seals all the
openings so nothing can get inside.  I know I need to get photos up of this
-- it works really well.  Some of my ride photos have an occasional shot of
the horses in their easyboots with the tape
around.  http://members.nbci.com/ridephotos/ponyexpress/hoofstuff.html
These pics show what a set of boots look like that just did 250 miles in 5
days.  (along with how to apply equithane, which has nothing to do with
this <G>)  In one of the pics you can see how I adjust the cable to tighten
it -- and it still would allow some of the boot to be trimmed down if
necessary.

>I did ride in them, but only breifly. I was too concerned about them rubbing
>her coronary band to ride long. I will definately wrap her foot in vet wrap
>before putting the boots on (per your great instruction page, Karen).

I'd give it a try -- go ahead and use the vetwrap and take her out for a 5
mile ride.  If that works, then next time try going a little farther, maybe
7 or 10 miles.  Do that two or three times and if all is well, you can
probably give it a shot for a 25 mile ride.  OR.....you can put the boots
on and leave them overnight, maybe longing or one short ride and see how it
goes.

My horses have done all of their miles (well, okay so Weaver maybe did his
first two rides without them)......in easyboots.  I'll get some better
photos up on my pages soon, been gonna do that forever. Too easy to get
behind with 3 horses to ride.  I am jazzed now tho, getting both horses
going in 4 easyboots, it's working really well.  Some might find it
interesting how to finagle the boots to fit different size and shaped feet
-- my horses range from an O to a 2, why oh why couldn't they have the same
sized feet? :+D

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV