racing arabs

sue chandler chandler@wcnet.org
I have 2 arabs that were raced.  My husband's was only
raced for 2 years, but mine was raced from 3 to 7
years old.  When I bought her last June, they had
entered her in a race in Michigan for July.  They are
both sound, but my mare has osolettes.  My vet said
she should not have any problems because of this.  She
has done 2 50 mile rides so far.

We started out doing CTRs and then LD.  My husband's
horse has done 700 miles and mine over 600 so far.

I was also concerned
because her papers had EIPH stamped on them, buy my vet
said endurance riding is a slower output of energy,
not the fast, short burst of racing and he didn't think
I should be concerned.  She has great recoveries and a great
attitude.  When we do CTR rides we are usually walking
quite a bit and she hates it when I let other horses pass.
She doesn't understand yet that we're not racing this time.
She takes care of herself on the trail, eats, drinks, and
isn't a spooker.  My husband's horse is not as easy going.
He's out to get to the front and try to win.  It's sometimes
hard to get him to pace himself, slow down and eat on the
trail, but he loves water and always drinks.  We've been
very satisfied with their attitudes and they have always
wanted to move on down the trail.  Their manners are excellent
and they are used to lots of commotion.  No complaints!