Re: RC: Re: pulses and gut sounds

At 06:25 AM 10/18/00, Linda Flemmer wrote:
>I suspect he is working beyond his conditioning until he settles down some

I think this is a tremendously important concept!

For some horses, working beyond their conditioning may only occur in the
beginning of a ride, as Linda wrote.  For these horses, the rest of the
ride is well within their conditioned capabilities, and they can "recover"
or make up for that excessive effort in the beginning.  For others, the
distance itself, or the terrain, temperature, footing, trailering home
immediately after a ride, change of feed while working, or any combination
of  these and other factors, could be working beyond their conditioning.

When I posted about our stallion colicking after the first few 50 miler he
did, I believe (as did the vet who told me about this) that the sheer
excitement of being at a ride was for him working beyond his
conditioning.  When he gained in experience, he learned to settle down and
relax after the ride was over - and the colics stopped.

This is, as I said, a very important point to keep in mind when entering
any horse in any endurance event.  Everything counts!

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html