Re: pulses and gut sounds

Steph (and everyone),

The gut has "stretch" receptors that register the
presence of "fill" in the gut.  Fill may be hay,
water, grass, beet pulp, etc.  When the receptors are
stimulated, they trigger peristalsis (gut movement
which results in the "gut sounds" we all listen for).
This is one of the many reasons that gut fill is
critical during a ride.  EATING = GUT MOVEMENT!  Keep
your horse eating & drinking, and they should oblige
by peeing & pooping.

In addition, movement stimulates gut motility.  If a
horse is experiencing colic from lack of gut movement
and gas build up, walking can be very beneficial.

As Steph pointed out earlier, when blood supply/oxygen
is critical blood is shunted to important organs like
the heart & brain.  It is shunted away from the gut.
This is why I believe that my horse's gut sounds are
usually a B or B- at the first check.  He is "up",
trying to go faster than we should and fighting me
some for the first miles of a start.  I suspect he is
working beyond his conditioning until he settles down
some.  If a ride doesn't have a vet check before 15
miles, I will make a stop on my own & insist on some
rest time for him.  It has helped tremendously.

I hope this helps understand another aspect of gut
motility.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV