Re: <sigh... hit delete> yet more difference between LD and other distances

I think Robyn should stay too...

> sue wrote:
> > Linda Cowles wrote:s.
> > > Endurance isn't for everyone. What makes it endurance? Enduring 50 miles or more.
> >
> > Why? If you look in the dictinoary it doesn't define it that way.;-)
> > Why don't 'true endurance' riders(ie 50+ miles) realize that the people that MOST
> > admire them are the LD people and therefore attempt mutual support?

 I'm very supportive of LD riders, am sometimes one myself, and have helped quite a few
people get to that level.

The dictionary doesn't define Endurance Distance... the members of the AERC define
Endurance Distance.  Everyone who rides Endurance Distance has also ridden Limited
Distance, formally or for training, and has had to go twice as far to get to the
Endurance Distance level. Getting to the Limited Distance milestone, typically 25-30
miles, is definitely respectable. Going TWICE as far, typically 50-100 miles, is
Endurance Distance.

Respect is something that you need to give yourself before you'll ever appreciate it from
someone else.

If you do LD and respect yourself for it, you won't feel like you're only going half as
far as you should. You can't disappoint yourself and respect yourself at the same time.
If you're a LD rider and satisfied with your accomplishments?  LD is the perfect
distance, at least for now. It's great for you! If it isn't satisfying? Get out there and
go for 50!

A marathon is 26.n miles, Endurance Distance is 50 + miles, Grand Prix Dressage is
acceptably performing a specified set of movements in front of a qualified judge. Grand
Prix Jumping is going over a very specific jump course. I've been in a lot of sports that
have this differentiation and never heard so much quibbling about it. I have friends who
run 1/2 marathons regularly, and wouldn't dream of saying that they're marathoners. I
rode Training Level and 1st Level Dressage for years, and never felt stained or
stigmatized, so this perplexes me.

And I heard that Maryben did LD once or twice... I have to respect Maryben or she gets
even.

Getting to Limited Distance level - and doing it well - does take diligence and effort.
There are many things to learn, many challenges, and if you get there and are totally
satisfied with what you've accomplished and kick back and enjoy it? Great.  It is VERY
EASY to STAY at that Limited Distance level. It's a great workout and still comfortable.
Not everyone needs to double the distance. Not everyone wants to!

Limited Distance isn't Endurance Distance. Half Marathon distance isn't Marathon
Distance.

Maybe we should rename it Half Endurance? Or Training Level Endurance?

(NOoooo MaryBen! Don't Hit Linda!! Ouch!)

No matter what we call LD, when I do it, usually as training, I enjoy it.

   -- Linda Cowles