Re: RC: Re: LD milage

In a message dated 10/17/2000 4:17:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rainbow@montana.com writes:

<< Don Wrote :

 "AS far as LD miles.  Some people have awful good horses at their barn if
 they
 can take any of them right out of the pasture unconditioned and ride them
 30 miles" >>

I discovered this phenomenon 30 years ago when I first started endurance
riding.  I hadn't a clue, there were no clinics, no trainers and very few
people to share advice.  I took my running QH, built more like a sturdy Arab,
out of pasture (being quite sure that his hiking up and down the hill behind
our house was PLENTY of conditioning for endurance) and rode him 45 miles out
of a 50.  It wasn't a great ride, there wasn't enough water on the trail,
ride management didn't provide it along the way in strategic locations as
they do nowadays, and the horse showed signs of what I NOW recognize as
"trouble".  But I did cover the mileage, on an unsuitable horse, without any
conditioning.  It can be done!  But it isn't recommended.

Barbara