The Beauty of Endurance

Kathie Bivin doublekranch@citlink.net
I have been an avid trail rider since my first horse 18 years ago.  Several years ago I came across a copy of Endurance News, and I knew this was my sport. (my how this magazine has improved over the years, it's my favorite of my several horse mags)  With 2 of my horses too old for the sport and 2 of them too young, I realized it was my future sport.

I have been a member of AERC for 4 years now. While waiting for my fillies to mature I got my foot in the door by conditioning horses for Casey Davis and Potato Richardson.  Riding their incredible horses on 20 - 30 mile conditioning rides has been pure pleasure.  I've crewed for them on the Tevis twice.  What an education it's all been.  Next ride season will be my first official ER season, I've patiently waited due to advice from the endurance riders I've met, and my mare finally turns 6 in Feb.  We'll be doing 25's our first year, and looking forward to finally be a part of what I consider an elete group of riders.  Everyone I've come across has made me feel very welcome, I've never felt like an outsider.  The riders, crews and vets have all been a wealth of information.
For me the beauty of endurance is -
1)  A horse sport that involves riding the trails, for training, conditioning, and competition.
2)  A sport that cares more about the welfare of the horse than winning ribbons and prizes, yet they're there.
3)  A sport where you can ride to compete and win or ride just for the pleasure of it.
4)  A sport that evens the playing field, not according to how much money you have, but according to how much time you put into your horse.  The well conditioned $500.00 horse with a good rider can beat hands down the poorly conditioned $10,000.00 horse with a good rider.  Where a horse can be rescued from the feed lot, then 2 years late win the Tevis.(I love that!!!)
5)  A sport that is highly competative but not cut-throat.  A group of riders that would do most anything to help the their competitors if and when they need help, even if it drops them out of the top 10.
6)  A sport you can enjoy and participate in while you learn.

In general-overall from what I've observed, the sport of endurance puts the welfare of the horse first, it's educational in the ways of horsemanship, it caters to competion and pleasure, marries the two so to speak.

In every equine sport there will be those who do it for the prestige or the money, not because their soul is healthier because of the partnership between equine and human.  But the majority of endurance riders that I've met are in it for the partnership, the beauty of riding the trails, and yes, the competition. Recognition of goals worked for and attained. Competition makes us strive for better.  Competition can be healthy for both horse and rider.  In endurance we are able to set goals and work for them as we participate.  Bad apples in the bunch?  Yes always, every sport, every carreer has some, but that's life.

In every organization there are rules to be set and changed.  And anyone with horses knows that you can ask 10 horseman the same question and get 10 different answers.  And horses are as individual as humans, so all 10 answers can be correct.  Discussing horsemanship is a lot like discussing religion or politics, when opinions are involved things can get hot.  Nothing should really be taken or given personally.  Truth or reality is each individuals perception.

I am also new to ridecamp.  I've been reading the postings for 3 days now and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.  Postings seem to be on the negative side with people attacking others for what they do or don't do, say or shouldn't say.  I was expecting news & info on our sport. Stories of experiences, a place to ask questions and get answers. Civil debates on subjects that are shaping our sport as it grows would help us in our voting for or against rule additions or changes, but these personal attacks help none.  I agree with the gal that seems to be trying to change the subject.  Thanks to the headings of the postings I now know to just skip over the junk and get to the good stuff.

We humans are funny creatures, we don't seem happy to control our own lives, we seem to need to control those around us.  We'd all be better off to concentrate on living up to our own convictions, teach by example and let others find their own way.  I find that keeps my plate full enough.

I think this ridecamp site is an excellent place to come. We just all need to stay positive, as we can see negativity breeds negativity. I look forward to my once a day e-mail call, even if I do have to breeze by the negative.  From what I can see it's a minority doing all the crucifying, the best way to deal with it and help it stop, is to not respond.

I am proud to be a member of AERC and am looking forward to meeting more of you true horse lovers out on the endurance trails this coming season.  Keep the info flowing.  Happy safe trails to all.
Kathie