Re: RC: arabian bloodlines

Amanda; Do you have any access to old Arabian Horse World Magazines? They
are very instructive, if you can look back, and look at the pictures. They
have special issues about differerent breeding. There are also some good
books out there, one is Arabian Legends, a western Horseman book.  They all
have good pictures to reference. In such a large breed there is a lot of
variation between types. Some horses you just can't tell. After a number of
years, I can pretty often tell a polish horse from an Egyptian at a glance,
also some crabbets and Spanish.  However, don't let people get all obsessive
with you and say, "Oh you must have a polish horse over all other's" or
something like that. Why? Take Padron, a famous "Russian" stallion living
here in America. He was actually born in Holland, by a Russian stallion who
was sired by an Egyptian stallion who was given to the Russian government,
and he is out of a Crabbet mare, and Crabbbets were British horses, imported
from Egypt, and Poland, and then imported to America. It kind of matters
more..who bred it, because you can see certain characteristics bred by
certain people out of the melting pot. Some of these key breeders would
include Bazy Tankersley (XXXOOO) who strongly breeds for disposition and
athletic ability at her huge Al Marah ranch in Arizona, Sheila Varian-very
nice athletic horses, and the Jack Tone Family who bred Fadjur.   Look on
the internet too for pictures, you'll eventually identify what YOU feel is
YOUR ideal.Welcome to our beautiful breed! Have fun! Beth Glover,
Elizabethan Arabians